Honeypot is one type of security mechanism which creates a virtual trap to lure attackers. This is an intentionally vulnerable computer system that allows attackers to exploit the vulnerabilities.
It is better that you study well to improve your security policy. Users need to apply the honeypot where the user can compute the resource software, file servers, routers, etc.
It is also one type of deception technology that will make you understand the behavioral pattern of the attacker. Usually, that security team uses the honeypots to investigate the cybersecurity breaches and how they collect intel for cybercriminals operations. By doing this operation, you can reduce the risk of false things compare with the cybersecurity measures.
Honeypot mainly works to depend on the deployment and design. Everything looks vulnerable and legitimate to attract the cybercriminal.
Type of Honeypot Deployment:
There are total of three types of honeypot deployment available. Those are discussing below:
- Pure honeypots: This takes care of a complete production system that gets an attack through bug taps then it will get connected with the honeypot. They are very unsophisticated.
- Low-interaction honeypots: It imitates the service and system, which mainly attracts criminal attention. That time Honeypot will collect the data from the blind attacker like worms, malware, botnets, etc.
- High-interaction honeypots: This is a very complex setup that looks like the real production of infrastructure. They do not restrict the activity level, which provides extensive cybersecurity. Honeypot also has higher maintenance and expertise in additional technology, including virtual machines. This ensures that the attacker will not be able to access the real system.
What are Honeypots Used for?
Honeypot has many uses where it helps to capture the unauthorized inruders information that tricked to access them and appear to the legitimate part of any network. There are few security teams that deploy these traps for their network defense strategy. Honeypot also allows you to do research regarding the behavior of cyber attack to interact with the network.
Spam trap helps to the honeypot where they can do the set up so that email address can attract to the spam web traffic. Usually, spam traps get used for the Project Honey Pot, which is embedded in the website software.
They need information related to the spammers, including IP address, email address, and other site addresses. It does not get used for the security measure where everybody can use for network reconnaissance, even hackers.
Spam Trap: An Email Honeypot:
As we have already mentioned that spam trap is a fraud management tool that helps by providing internet service providers. This also helps to identify and block the spammers. They will make user inbox safe by blocking vulnerabilities.
A spam trap can make the fake email address that gets used by the bait spammers. There are few legitimate emails sent to the fake address so when you receive the mail it will go to spam.
Here you will get different types of span trap, those are discussing below:
- Username typos: The spam filter detects typos error that can be done by machine or the human but it will come in the spam folder. Most of the time, the misspelled will be an email address.
- Expired email accounts: Few providers can use the abandoned email accounts, which will be expired in the domain name, which can be the same as spam traps.
- Purchase email lists: It contains many invalid email addresses, which can get the trigger to a spam trap. Since the sender does not get the authorization to send the email, they get treated in the spammer’s list and get backlisted.
Benefits of Honeypots:
Just to place honeypot to your network will not complete your needs; there are other few security controls available such as intrusion detection systems, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and much more. Benefits are described below:
- It helps to distract the cybercriminal so that they cannot target the legitimate system. The more time they spend on the honeypot, the less you have to invest in the system to attract them.
- It gives you the best visibility so that attacks can happen quickly. The attacker does the keystroke to send the instant alerts and the scammer gets an attempt to access the system.
- You can even monitor the attacker’s behavior and detect the vulnerabilities. Another side you need to release the published signature so that you can identify the attack.
- Honeypot will help you to put the organization’s incident response capabilities for the test. You need to prepare your team to take appropriate countermeasures to block that attacker and his access.
- Honeypot also helps to improve your company’s all over security. It mainly put the light on the attackers so that you can formulate the correct prevention strategies.
- Honeypot is a very cost-effective method, and it is also a good investment, but it will only interact when the malicious activity happens, and it does not require any high-performance resource for controlling the network traffic for an attack.
- It can capture all types of malicious activity, though attackers use encryption.
- Honeypot collects the data from the attacks which including unauthorized activity, a rich source of useful information, and much more.
This honeynet includes two or more honeypots for one network. When you will have an interconnected network that time honeypot gets used. It allows the organization to track the attacker’s interaction with the resource.
It also helps you monitor intruder moves in the network so that you can interact with multiple points at one time. The main goal is to catch the hacker and successfully breach the network, so if you have more network destinations, it can be more convincing for the attacker.
Deception technology is the more complex implementation for the honeypots as well as a honeynet. It often packages with other technology like next-generation firewalls, Secure web gateways, and IDSes. This technology includes automated features where the honeypot can respond the real-time to potential attackers.
Cyber threats will continue where honeypot will help the organization to keep the ever-changing threat landscape. Though it is impossible to predict but you can prevent every attack with the help of a honeypot.
It always provides useful information and makes sure that organization can prepare for the reaction in the attacker act. This is a good place for the cybersecurity professional to get all hacking-related information.