Security Operation Centre is always the heart of the organization in cybersecurity. When other groups mainly focus on the architecture and strategy, SOC Framework works as rubber meets to implement those strategies.
As per the research, it has proven that in this world 68% organization has SOC, and they are the successful organization. Moreover, a successful cybersecurity organization can detect an incursion and provide the solution so that attack can happen within 20 minutes. To ensure organization’s cybersecurity SOC plays a critical step.
Now you might be wondering what SOC framework is?
This is the overarching architecture that defines components delivery and how do they work. In other words, you can say this framework is purely based on the monitoring platform, which can track and record every security-related event. This type of analytic platform shows its ability which determines the events which indicate an attack or incident.
This type of analytic platform usually works as manual and has different analytics that determines its status. In this, everything comes automated via AI, and this is a machine learning algorithm so that the system automatically detects the attack and other security incidents.
Only determining the attack is not enough where it must also need the response. It’s entirely depends on the SOC’s internal and external response. It is very simple where it gives an alert where the client gets informed to do automatically executing.
Elements of SOC Framework
As a business owner, you need to protect your business where you need to manage the threat lifecycle. In this case, the SOC framework can apply few things to help you to establish and provide you a mature approach. Here you can see the SOC elements which will help you to grow your business.
- Identify: As a businessman, you need to earn the trust of your people and need to have a complete understanding between you both. You also need to identify the risk and vulnerabilities, digital and physical assets, defense systems, and much more.
- Protect: You need to establish a diverse and layered approach to defend the business while they will be ready to reply to any attack.
- Detect: You need to implement the technology and do the practice to quickly detect the security data.
- Respond: You can react calmly to any incident, and you need to be in a severe breach.
- Recover: This is when you need to return the organisation to its original state by doing proper planning. It also does preventative measures to safeguard your business against a repeat attack.
What can be the goal of well-functioning SOC?
The best SOC framework provides many benefits, and to get the most benefit, you need to make sure that the experienced personnel should make up the team. However, the company approach is you need to make sure that you follow few goals, those are below:
- Improve the security visibility: A good SOC operator always wants to expand its company’s security by maintaining excessive inventory for all IT assets. The most important thing will have all of your information which will help them attack against you. We have near-real-time security monitoring which will help us to get prepare before the threat happens.
- Reduce incident response time: In today’s world, SOC works like a booster for attack detection speed, remediation, and investigation. For attacking the average time of 280 days and organisation must consistently strive so that it can improve the incident response time. An Attacker will be continuously poke but the time he will not succeed, he will move to the next victim and not be able to steal data from us.
- Minimize the impact of a breach: To reduce the result of a breach and incident response time is the critical goal of SOC. You can leverage the threat intelligence where you will get clear visibility to the organisation assets and in this SOC plays a significant role to prevent minor breaches so that they can blow up, which is more important.
- Maintain a consistent flow of reporting and communication: In this era’s SOC is directly connected with organization’s communication channels which will help to inform stakeholder immediately if any financial risk comes. If any data gets collected from SOC, it helps to build the security roadmap that is best for future planning.
- Stay a step ahead of attackers: Here, all the above goals are essential, and these are best for robust SOC. You can also do some devote so that their effort becomes more proactive for threat hunting. Smart hackers always think for one step ahead and only keep the dive deep and look for evidence of an early attack. You will get the digital clue that will indicate the future attack and discover it in the data.
The Benefit of Having SOC and this managed by a third party:
As you know, only well-functioning SOC can gain skilled staff, and it can hold the organization back and get this to a before position. It also helps to improve its security posture. They can tap the effective threat, and it also has an automatic threat detection system. SOC can give the organization a wide range of cybersecurity experience from that talented pool without having any hefty labor costs.
Unlike another cybersecurity service, there are many companies which prefer the flexibility offered by the service model. You need to manage the SOC essentially and turn it into the service to the external cloud-based service. A good SOC can offer a 24×7 monitoring service without any additional cybersecurity software, hardware, and many other infrastructures.
As an owner, you need to manage SOC service, and your organization gain few advantages, those are below:
- It helps to reduce the cost and complexity so that it can offer centralized security visibility. In this, you need to have the ability to monitor SaaS, on-premises, Cloud, and other endpoints. You need to avoid the cost, confusion, and complexity to maintain multiple security products.
- You need to detect the threat and gain immediate board visibility giving you the complete installation.
- The User needs to keep everything up to date with an evolving threat that will let you manage the service partner for research.
- Threat response you always need to give faster. You also need to know how to take action and where to focus. SOC analyst team always works with your incident responder to help you respond effectively and quickly.
When you are using SOC, it is essential that you also need to know to manage the SOC. This is the most struggling thing for recruiting cybersecurity talent. Anyways, the enterprise must consider managing SOCs so that it does not become a burden for the IT team. We hope this article can be helpful for you