Digital certificates are electronic credential that binds the identity to the owner of the certificate which can also pair the electronic encryption keys that can be public and private. This mainly uses to encrypt the sign information digitally.
The main work for the digital certificate is to make sure the public key content, belongs to the entity which has issues. on the other side, it verifies the person who is sending the message and also provides a message to the receiver; it means that you have successfully created a encode where you can reply to the sender.
This is an encryption technique that gets used by the public and private keys. This also supports the distribution and identification. Messages can be encrypted with a public or private key, which would get used to decrypt the data.
They also will give the assurance where data gets originated and by whom if there is any particular object.
The receiver will come to know which valid key got used. Mainly, certified authorities commonly trust the third party who can verify and match the public key through identity, emails, and much more.
This Certificate Authority package works together in one certificate where a public key is included. It gets information about encryption algorithms, subject data, digital signatures, etc. Everything has to be verified by the certificate authority, and the data range of the certificate has to be considered valid.
Digital certificate always has to be used for different types of transactions including email, groupware, electronic commerce, fund transfer, etc.
Who can Issue the Digital Certificate?
Any entity has the authority to create its own PKI and can issue the digital certificate. But few cases, the approach can be changed and reasonable.
Every organization maintains its own PKI for its internal work. The majority of the certificate is issued by the certificate authority (CA).
They are considered trusted third parties who issue digital certificates so that individuals can extend their trust in the CA, and make it done their digital certificate.
Types of Digital Certificates:
There are several types of digital certificates which gets used by the web browser and web server. These all are authenticated on the internet. Digital certificates are mainly linked with the web server for the domain and with the organization. Here you will get several types of certificates which are discussed below:
- Domain Validated (DV SSL): This is one type of certificate that offers the latest assurance about the holder. The applicant needs to certificate to demonstrate that he has the right to use this name. This certificate works as an assurance that proves that the sender is a known entity.
- Wildcard SSL: This is mainly used to secure subdomains under a primary domain. You can find cheap wildcard SSL certificates from authenticating resellers. You will get numerous benefits with a wildcard SSL certificate. It can be available in domain and organization validation.
- Organization Validated (OV SSL): This is one type of certificate that provides additional assurance regarding the holder to confirm the applicant that he has the right to the domain.
- Extended Validation (EV SSL): This is the certificate issued after the applicant provides his identity and gives the CA’s satisfaction. This process includes verification, existence, identity match with the official record, verifying the entity with the authorized domain, confirming everything with the owner, matching with an insurance certificate, etc.
- Code Signing Certificates: This is mainly used to confirm the software authentication, and files downloaded from the internet. The developer has to sign the software to confirm the third-party sites which proves that it is not tempered.
- Client Certification: The client certificate is a digital ID that makes the individual use another user and one machine to another machine. Usually, when the sender signs the communication digitally, it has to be verified by the recipient and helps the user access the database.
Beneficial Features of the Digital Certificates:
Digital certificates have become important due to cyberattacks. Here we will get a few features of digital certificates that can help us to reduce cyber-attack. Those are discussed below:
- Security: Digital certificate’s main work is to encrypt the internal and external communication to stop the attacker from stealing the sensitive data and intercepting the data.
- Scalability: This mainly provides the shape and size to the business, which gives encryption quality. These are highly scalable, which means you can easily issue, renew, revoke and use as a secure user device. Everything gets manage through the centralized platform.
- Authenticity: This is crucial thing, ensuring that the authenticity of the online communication so that cyberattack should not be widespread. You also need to make sure that the user’s message always reaches their intendened recipient.
- Reliability: It is mandatory that only publicly trusted Cas can issue the digital certificates. It needs rigorous vetting that makes sure that the hackers are not fake and you are not the victim to use this digital certificate.
- Public Trust: Digital certificate confirm that website is genuine and every email are authentic. This is entirely going on in public trust, and it assures the client that he is dealing with a genuine company which has value and security.
Which Type of Security do Digital Certificates offer?
The digital certificate works as a verification step which mainly use to send confidential data which needs protection. Now the discussion is what benefits you can expect from the digital certificate user; here you will get the points.
- Data Confidentiality: The user can easily depend on the digital certificates, and the organization can easily communicate with indeed. Without a public key, no one can access the document or message whichever sender has sent her digital certificate. It assures that sender’s data will never be lost, leak and stolen.
- Data Integrity: Digital certificate ensures that whichever information has sent must be free, and get tempered while transmission for the intended recipient. When everything gets agreed, only the signing authority’s work comes, and after it gets signed contract cannot be changed.
- Access Management: This type of digital certificate makes sure that only involved parties access of the documents and other files.
- Transaction Receipts: When you use the digital certificate it lies on the non-repudiation, it means that the sender and receiver cannot deny that messages has got exchanged.
Since, cyber-crime is increasing continuously, our daily life at risk, but the technology users are the gainer. In this case, a digital certificate helps the organization to have safe communication by engaging the online transaction.