Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal) is a renowned, free, and open-source packet analyzer that is used widely, and primarily it serves the following purposes:-
- Network troubleshooting
- Software protocol development
- Communications protocol development
The wide acceptance of Wireshark depicts the robustness of this tool which enables network admins and security analysts to analyze network packets more effectively.
Not only that, even these key factors make the Wireshark one of the best packet analyzer tools available for organizations across various sectors. Recently, the Wireshark Foundation released a new version of Wireshark (Wireshark 4.0.8) with several new updates and features.
What’s new in Wireshark 4.0.8?
Here below, we have mentioned all the new updates and fixes done in this new version, Wireshark 4.0.8.
Here below, we have mentioned all the vulnerabilities that were addressed in this new version of Wireshark:-
- wnpa-sec-2023-23 CBOR dissector crash. Issue 19144.
- wnpa-sec-2023-24 BT SDP dissector infinite loop. Issue 19258.
- wnpa-sec-2023-25 BT SDP dissector memory leak. Issue 19259.
- wnpa-sec-2023-26 CP2179 dissector crash. Issue 19229.
This new version comes with several bug fixes, and here below, we have mentioned all the fixes:-
- TShark cannot capture to pipe on Windows correctly. Issue 17900.
- Wireshark wrongly blames group membership when pcap capabilities are removed. Issue 18279.
- Packet bytes window broken layout. Issue 18326.
- RTP Player only shows waveform until sequence rollover. Issue 18829.
- Valid Ethernet CFM DMM packets are shown as malformed. Issue 19198.
- Crash on DICOM Export Objects window close. Issue 19207.
- The QUIC dissector is reporting the quic_transport_parameters max_ack_delay with the title \”GREASE\” Issue 19209.
- Preferences: Folder name editing behaves weirdly, cursor jumps. Issue 19213.
- DHCPFO: Expert info list does not show all expert infos. Issue 19216.
- Websocket packets not decoded and displayed for Field type=Custom and Field name websocket.payload.text. Issue 19220.
- Cannot read pcapng file captured on OpenBSD and read on FreeBSD. Issue 19230.
- UI: While capturing the Wireshark icon changes from green to blue when new file is created. Issue 19252.
- Conversation: heap-use-after-free after wmem_leave_file_scope. Issue 19265.
- IP Packets with DSCP 44 does not indicate “Voice-Admit” Issue 19270.
- NAS 5GS Malformed Packet Decoding SOR transparent container PLMN ID and access technology list. Issue 19273.
- UI: Auto scroll button in the toolbar is turned on whshark/wireshark/-/issues/19252en manually scrolling to the end of packet list. Issue 19274.
Updated Protocol Support
Here below, we have mentioned all the updated protocols:-
- BT SDP
- GSM DTAP
- IEEE 802.11
- PKT CCC
Where to download?
To download the latest release of Wireshark (Wireshark 4.0.8) by the Wireshark Foundation, you have to visit the official download page that you can access here.