Wireshark is an open-source network traffic and packet analysis tool used by security professionals and systems administrators to examine the details of the traffic.
It is also known as Ethereal, it converts the binary traffic into a human-readable format. Wireshark supports thousands of protocols like TCP, UDP, and ICMP.
Wireshark 3.0.6 Released
Wireshark 3.0.6 was released with several bug fixes and enhancements.
For macOS now the Wireshark can be installed by simply dropping the Wireshark app into the applications folder. Wireshark 3.0.6 ships with Qt 5.12.5 (Qt is the library that provides UI to Wireshark).
- macOS installer uses wrong user ID. Bug 6991.
- Using macosx-setup seems to prevent installing pre-built binary. Bug 11399.
- macOS installer package is configured to disallow downgrades. Bug 12593.
- extcap: Several issues when capturing from multiple extcap interfaces. Bug 13653.
- Expert Infos Incorrectly Displays Info Column instead of comment. Bug 15516.
- Wireshark does not support USB packets with size greater than 256 KiB. Bug 15985.
- IS-IS: add support for decoding TE TLV Type 138 as per RFC 5307. Bug 16012.
- NET-SNMP EngineID Length handling Warning. Bug 16051.
- TLS decryption is very slow on Windows when using a large PMS file compared to Linux/macOS. Bug 16059.
- wireshark-3.0.5/epan/dissectors/packet-nas_5gs.c:2459: bad test ?. Bug 16075.
- ERSPAN Type III over GRE without sequence number not decoded correctly. Bug 16089.
- Windows dumpcap -v does not display capture library info. Bug 16108.
- [Regression] FT_CHAR fields not supported in Lua API. Bug 16129.
Updated Protocol Support
AgentX, BT L2CAP, ERSPAN, GRE, IPv4, IS-IS, NAS 5GS, OpcUa, SNMP, and SRT.
The new version can be downloaded from here.
Training Course: Master in Wireshark Network Analysis – Hands-on course provides a complete network analysis Training using Wireshark.