Whatsapp is sending notifications of a policy update that requires sharing data with Facebook companies but it also said that No one will have their accounts deleted or lose functionality of WhatsApp on May 15th because of this update.
So, what happens If we do not update?
WhatsApp will restrict its features if we refuse data sharing with Facebook.
- You won’t be able to access your chat list, but you can still answer the incoming phone and video calls. If you have notifications enabled, you can tap on them to read or respond to a message or call back a missed phone or video call.
- After a few weeks of limited functionality, you won’t be able to receive incoming calls or notifications and WhatsApp will stop sending messages and calls to your phone.
What, why, and how is information shared between Whatsapp and Facebook?
As part of the Facebook Companies, WhatsApp receives information from and shares information with, the other Facebook Companies. They may use the information to help operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market Whatsapp’s Services and their offerings, including the Facebook Company Products. This includes:
- helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems;
- understanding how Services are used;
- promoting safety, security, and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., securing systems and fighting spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities;
- Improving their services and Customer’s experiences using them, such as making suggestions, personalizing features and content
- providing integrations that enable to connect WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products
Although users will not get their accounts deactivated for not agreeing to share their data with Facebook, the company reminded them that they would get automatically deleted after 120 days of inactivity, according to WhatsApp’s current inactive account deletion policy, so be aware and choose the right option!