Recently, a U.S. district judge has sentenced a citizen of the U.K., who is a member of the Dark Overlord group, for five years in federal prison for engaging himself in cybercrime projects.
The hacker that has been sentenced was Nathan Francis Wyatt; he is 39 years old, and was convicted for five years in prison, and commanded to pay $1,467,048 in compensation to the victims.
According to the reports, Nathan Wyatt was arrested from the U.K. to the U.S. in December 2019 for attacking the computer networks of American companies. However, the victims involve all healthcare providers and accounting firms in the St. Louis, Missouri area, and here only Wyatt suffered charges.
The report claims that he has alleged guilty to intensified identification crime and computer fraud; that’s why the Justice Department of the U.S. has declared that he has confessed to being a member of The Dark Overlord since 2016.
Wyatt has been charged for stealing important and confidential data, and here they are mentioned below:-
- All sensitive data from the targeted companies.
- Personal data.
- Patient medical records.
After stealing all the files, the hacker abused the victims by blackmailing them for the ransom. And here, the ransom should cover between $75,000 and $350,000, and the victim should pay the ransom in Bitcoin.
Moreover, the document that was presented by the court affirms that Wyatt was a member of the TDO hacker group since 2016, and the group performed all its operations by hacking into massive companies, stealing their delicate data, and bidding for large ransoms.
While the 2017 reports claim that Wyatt utilized email accounts and telephone as a mean to transmit messages that were used to threaten and blackmail the attacked companies.
Hack Events of TDO
The TDO group has a large and substantial hacking history, and that’s why the group has taken the credit or has been connected to tens of hacks, like:-
- Hacked three healthcare businesses and sold 651,894 patient records on the Dark Web.
- Bartered over 9.3 million patient records from an unnamed healthcare insurance provider.
- Hacked and extracted the Cancer Services of East Central Indiana-Little Red Door center.
- Hacked and leaked episodes from season 5 of “Orange Is The New Black”, in Netflix.
- Hacked ABC and leaked episodes from “Steve Harvey’s Funderdome” T.V. show.
- Hacked Larson Studios, Inc., and stole a large amount of unreleased T.V. show episodes.
- Hacked H-E Parts International Morgan.
- Hacked Line 204.
- Hacked Austin Manual Therapy Associates.
- Hacked SMART (“Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Therapy”) Physical Therapy.
- Hacked Hand Rehabilitation Specialists.
- Hacked Gorilla Glue.
- Hacked and published data from various companies, like Pre-Con Products, G.S. Polymers, PcWorks, International Textiles & Apparel, and UniQoptic.
- Hacked Caribbean Island Properties.
- Hacked Prime Staff Incorporation.
- Hacked Channel Ship Services.
- Hacked Sterling National Financial Group.
- Hacked AZ Plastic Surgery Center.
Apart from this, the Justice Department also asserted that Wyatt also confessed for competing in a conspiracy “by creating, validating, and managing communication, payment, and implicit private network accounts” that the group applied to threaten and extract the victims in Missouri.