You might be wondering how the supply chain attack works? First, let us tell you that this is one type of cyber-attack that targets the organization by focusing on its weaker link. This network includes all the organization, technology, individual, resources, many other things. All are involved in creating and selling the product.
This supply chain does everything to get the delivery of the material from the manufacture. It does everything where you can do the complete delivery until the end-user. Always targeting the weak point cyber-attack gets successful, and attackers mainly take the advantage of the third-party vendor’s trust.
Mostly the organization who are connected with the third-party vendor they get attack fast. Normally, supply chain attacks are always rising in relevance and the attacks are in high status, making the target hit. There are few weak links in the supply chain that are easy for cybercriminals to target, and organizations must be aware of it and do some security implementation.
The Supply chain is always allowed to target specifically where the number of the victim can grow quickly. But it becomes tough to detect the attack and rely on the trusted software widely distributed. One more critical thing is how much more you will find us the third-party vendor so much more risk will come, and it will automatically get pushed from one team to another team.
Supply Chain Attack Risks:
We are very much dependent on digitalization, and cybersecurity risk is increasing day by day. Many organizations are trying to safeguard valuable data within the wall or inside the organization. When it gets continued many risks come up, and here we are sharing those risk factors for the organization, those are below:
- Financial risk: When the data gets leaked, financial effects starts throughout the network and Microsoft breach occurs. Many economic fallouts happens due to data leakage.
- Reputational risk: Any supplier breach damages the parties’ reputation and these are very well known in the market. The organisation that is shortlisted and gets impacted by the breach and later on it goes to the reputational risk of any organisation.
- Operational risk: The operational factor always gets affected by the breach, and the attacker will have access to the network with an undetermined amount of time. In supply chain risk, there are many vendors involve, and it has an impact on the client organization.
- Social risk: In this digitalization, societal risk is not a correct security measure. Unfortunately, the digital journey breaks the social trust where the system gets to rely on. Trust is essential for the operation and continued growth.
When are you securing your Supply Chain Attack, what is all you need to consider?
Whenever you access the supply chain, your security practice has to get extended. You need to get soon access to your valuable thing and security should be put at the beginning to do the continuous monitoring and make sure the effectiveness.
- You need to hold your suppliers with the high-security standard and there many organization who neglects. Those get forced to adopt the strict protocol which they need to carry out.
- Need to create a culture of protection: When the matter comes to data protection from cyber threats, you get an alert for the first-line defense. The organization that are standing on the outskirts will get the first access. If we think about the suppliers, then they need to know to manage the thing properly. Whenever any ideation comes, you can easily connect or detect it. Your primary focus must be you need to get protection. When you make a new data connection, you need to take a few steps to protect the crown jewels as soon as they do the testing and feature the latest technology, you need to focus on the security protocol. You should not assume that the suppliers will fit into your security architecture without testing of the product, service, and configuration.
As per the nature of technology it needs to get regular updates, which evolve over time and will be effective. Your supplier must have the relationships, technology adaption, and knowledge of access, improving the risk assessment.
Supply Chain Attack Mitigation
You need to protect the supply chain, and for that, you need to rethink your security approach. There is no silver bullet when the matter comes to save guard your organization. For any business, practice, security has to play an integrated part in your business. There are few things which has to consider while securing the supply chain; those are below:
- Supplier management: There are few security requirements which include contracts, assessment, monitor, execution, etc. Any audit supplier makes sure that it is continued adherence, and it must create a culture where suppliers get informed proactively. Things will go even more broad if they have any breach.
- Asset management: You need to have a clear overview of your organization’s status, and suppliers must know what is happening and what role has to be played for the organization.
- People awareness: Supply chain management completely depends on the suppliers and contractors. You need to apply the strict security standards for the individuals to which you have applied for the suppliers. Though the person is familiar, you only need to grand them the access with proper clearance to revoke the credential and their contracts get terminated.
- Monitoring and cyber threat intelligence: Through this, you can detect things when it goes wrong, and include tracked intelligence. When the matter comes for the key supplier, you need to monitor the risk based on the elements, and it gets discussed in the contractive phase. Cyber threat intelligence understands the risk espouser of the critical supplier very effectively and manage the risk.
- Penetration testing: When technology got introduced, you need to think about the security and the tested design which got tested. There are different third parties that can offer this as a service. This is a high-impact organization with highly sensitive, data and it must acknowledge the responsibility they need to do.
You need to challenge your suppliers, and you need to arrange your security with their digital journey. In this era, the business environment is changing so many companies have increased the opportunity but even risk also increased. So you need to update your organization’s security function.
Recent Supply Chain Attacks