There are two primary types of penetration testing: traditional penetration testing and penetration testing as a service. While both have their benefits, penetration testing as a service offers several advantages that make it the better choice for many businesses. In this blog post, we will explore what penetration testing as a service is, how it works, and the benefits you can expect from using it.
Penetration Testing: Definition and Process
The term ‘penetration testing’ refers to a form of security testing in which researchers simulate real-world assaults on a computer system in order to evaluate its security. Pentesting can be used to assess both external and internal threats, identify vulnerabilities, and determine the best way to defend against potential attacks.
A penetration test is an organized operation. Security professionals aim to identify and exploit flaws in your system while ensuring no disruption or damage. There are a few phases to the procedure.
- You team up with the security specialists to determine the breadth of the investigation
- Gather data just like a hacker would, and leverage it to your advantage
- Scans your file for vulnerabilities
- Examine the risks associated with particular flaws to determine the danger they represent
- Prepare a Pentest report that records the vulnerabilities and their risk ratings
- Assist your developers in finding and correcting any vulnerabilities
Penetration Testing is an excellent way to add to your cyber security plan. It allows you to evaluate the current state of your system, secure any loose ends, and meet security requirements. The issue with this strategy is that the PEN report becomes outdated as soon as you install a new feature or release an upgrade. While you may be confident in your VAPT report, hackers find a vulnerability in your system.
What is Penetration Testing as a Service?
Penetration testing as a service, also known as PTaaS, is a cloud-based penetration testing solution that enables businesses to conduct regular, automated penetration tests with ease. PTaaS platforms provide users with all the tools and resources they need to run effective penetration tests, including a web-based interface, an extensive knowledge base, and 24/365 customer support.
In order to provide users with the most comprehensive and up-to-date penetration testing solution possible, penetration testing as a service platform employs a three-step process:
- Baseline assessment: The first step in penetration testing as a service process is to conduct a baseline assessment of the customer’s environment. This assessment is used to identify the customer’s unique security needs and requirements.
- Regular assessments: Once the baseline assessment has been completed, the penetration testing as a service platform will conduct regular assessments of the customer’s environment. These assessments are designed to identify any new or changed vulnerabilities that may have arisen since the last assessment was conducted.
- Continuous retesting: In addition to conducting regular assessments, penetration testing as a service platform also provides continuous retesting capabilities. This allows customers to retest their systems on an ongoing basis in order to ensure that they remain secure against new and emerging threats.
When considering penetration testing as a service platform, there are a few key features you should look for:
- A web-based interface: A penetration testing as a service platform should offer a web-based interface that is easy to use and navigate. The platform should also provide users with the ability to customize their tests and reports according to their specific needs.
- An extensive knowledge base: The penetration testing as a service platform should offer an extensive knowledge base that contains all the information users need to conduct effective penetration tests. This information should be readily accessible and simple to comprehend.
- 24/365 customer support: The platform should offer 24/365 customer support in order to assist users with any questions or concerns they may have. Phone, email, and live chat support are all important ways for consumers to reach out for assistance.
Penetration Testing Service: Top Benefits
There are several advantages to having your company’s security evaluated by a penetration testing firm. Some of these benefits include:
- Hacker-like testing in real-time: Penetration testing as service platforms provide users with the ability to conduct hacker-like tests in real-time. This allows businesses to identify vulnerabilities in their systems before hackers have the opportunity to exploit them.
- Early feedback on code changes: By conducting penetration tests on a regular basis, businesses can receive early feedback on any code changes that may impact the security of their systems. This feedback can help businesses to make the necessary changes to their code in order to ensure that their systems remain secure.
- Real-time remediation support: In addition to providing early feedback on code changes, penetration testing as a service platform also offers real-time remediation support. This support can help businesses to quickly and efficiently fix any vulnerabilities that are identified during penetration tests.
- Access to security engineers: When you avail of penetration testing services, you will have access to a team of experienced security engineers. These engineers can provide you with expert guidance and advice on how to effectively secure your systems against known and unknown threats.
Penetration testing as a service is an effective way for businesses to ensure the security of their systems. Using penetration testing services, companies may get immediate feedback on code changes and access to experienced security experts. If you are looking for a comprehensive guide to penetration testing as a service, then look no further than the features and benefits outlined in this article.