Offensive security released the 4th and final update of its security operating system Kali Linux 2021.4 with newly updated hacking tools and support for Macs M1, theme enhancement, extended compatibility for the samba-client, and more.
Offensive security used to release Kali Linux OS version updates several time each and every year with new features, in order to provide the best experience for the cybersecurity community.
Here are the following major areas that have been included along with this Kali Linux 2021.4 version update:
- Improved Apple M1 support
- Wide compatibility for Samba
- Switching package manager mirrors
- Kaboxer theming
- Updates to Xfce, GNOME and KDE
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + USBArmory MkII ARM images
- More tools
Since Kali Linux 2021.1, users can install Kali Linux Parallels on Apple Silicon Macs, now the new version also supports the VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview.
“We also have updated the
open-vm-tools package, and Kali’s installer will automatically detect if you are installing under VMware and install the
open-vm-tools-desktop package, which should allow you to change the resolution out of the box.” Kali Linux said.
Another important update is Samba Client extended capability and now at Kali Linux 2021.4 regardless of the version of the protocol the Samba client is now configured for Wide Compatibility so that it can connect to pretty much every Samba server out there.
New Hacking Tools is Kali Linux 2021.4
Offensive security has added 9 new tools in the new version of Kali Linux 2021.4 of the following:-
- Dufflebag – Search exposed EBS volumes for secrets
- Maryam – Open-source Intelligence (OSINT) Framework
- Name-That-Hash – Do not know what type of hash it is? Name That Hash will name that hash type!
- Proxmark3 – if you are into Proxmark3 and RFID hacking
- Reverse Proxy Grapher – graphviz graph illustrating your reverse proxy flow
- S3Scanner – Scan for open S3 buckets and dump the contents
- Spraykatz – Credentials gathering tool automating remote procdump and parse of lsass process.
- truffleHog – Searches through git repositories for high entropy strings and secrets, digging deep into commit history
- Web of trust grapher (wotmate) – reimplement the defunct PGP pathfinder without needing anything other than your own keyring
Now you can use the following command to update your system to the latest Kali Linux 2021.4:-
sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
If you are already having a Kali Linux and want to upgrade;
kali@kali:~$ echo “deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list kali@kali:~$ kali@kali:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade kali@kali:~$ kali@kali:~$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f kali@kali:~$
For new installation, you can download it from here.
To check after upgradation for Kali Linux 2021.4;
kali@kali:~$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release